University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2000, with honors
University of South Florida, B.A., 1996, highest honors
State Bar of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Scott’s civil litigation practice is national in scope, covering a broad range of matters including business disputes and tort litigation. His intellectually rigorous and creative approach leads to successful outcomes for clients in the healthcare, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, energy, food services, and real estate industries, as well as individuals in personal injury tort litigation.
Before joining Schiffer Hicks Johnson, Scott worked at Vinson & Elkins and was a founding partner at Bukowski & Upchurch, focused primarily on small business startup, litigation, and contract assistance. He has also worked as a lawyer for Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing, and as a director for a Houston-based ediscovery software startup, DISCO.
His intellectually rigorous and creative approach leads to successful outcomes.
- Represented an international manufacturer, and separately a major pharmaceutical company, in numerous mass tort cases involving personal injuries from products subject to recalls.
- Represented a Houston-based hospital, defending its employees (principally nurses) in medical malpractice claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on the majority of claims on behalf of a major automobile manufacturer, defending it in warranty litigation. Thereafter, the remaining claims were voluntarily dismissed.
- Received temporary and permanent injunctive relief on behalf of a manufacturer in trade secret litigation with a former executive and his international conspirators.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a commercial landlord at trial involving claims of wrongful eviction and conversion.
- Defended a company against claims by its former general counsel, including wrongful termination and related stock option disputes.
- Represented a company in an alleged shareholder oppression claim.
- Won temporary and permanent injunctive relief on behalf of a company, preventing the theft of its trade secrets by former employees.
- Represented an offshore drilling company in a commercial arbitration concerning a multimillion-dollar contract dispute with a contractor.
- Secured temporary and permanent injunctive relief against surface real estate owners refusing to allow testing or production by our client, a mineral rights lessee.
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers® (2008, 2014)
- Top Lawyer, H Texas magazine (2013-2015, 2017)
- Houston Bar Association