University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2009, with honors; Articles editor, The Review of Litigation
University of Texas, B.A., 2005, Plan II Honors, summa cum laude
State Bar of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas
Varant is, first and foremost, a trial lawyer. Representing businesses from a variety of industries, he efficiently guides his clients through every phase of the litigation process. His professional experience—at both an international law firm and a regional firm with a heavy trial docket—allows him to bring sophistication as well as a pragmatic, strategic, and cost-effective approach to client matters. And with first- and second-chair trial experience, he is ready to try disputes to verdict when necessary.
While Varant has enjoyed defending clients across a broad spectrum of industries—including construction and general commercial litigation—he has particular experience defending businesses in the energy sector from tort claims. His practice includes complex mass tort and products liability claims, business torts, class actions, breach of contract cases, professional negligence and malpractice claims, construction defect claims, suretyship litigation, partnership disputes, claims for violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), trade secret and non-competition litigation, and a range of other claims.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on affirmative claims for relief totaling $1.7 million in favor of one of the nation’s largest independent oil and gas producers. The dispute involved plugging and abandoning costs incurred in connection with two offshore platforms.
- Represented oil and natural gas producer in connection with a multimillion-dollar dispute with another exploration and production company involving saltwater disposal wells.
- Represented one of the nation’s top telecom billing aggregators in connection with multimillion-dollar breach of contract and RICO claims against third-party service providers.
- Represented one of Latin America’s largest construction and infrastructure development companies in multimillion-dollar litigation involving numerous sureties.
- Obtained a full summary judgment dismissal for an oil and gas operator accused of gross negligence in a double fatality worksite accident.
- Obtained a dismissal of all tort claims against one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of iron piping in a product’s liability lawsuit.
- Obtained court-ordered relief for a large advertising company precluding a litigant from accessing terabytes’ worth of the advertiser’s sensitive and proprietary electronically stored information.
- First chaired week-long trial in federal court. The lawsuit involved claims brought on behalf of a telecommunications company whose underground fiber optic facilities had been destroyed by a construction company.
- First chaired bench trial in state court. The lawsuit involved claims of trespass, nuisance, and negligence against a preeminent luxury and custom home builder.
- Second chaired two week-long trial in state court. The lawsuit involved claims of nuisance, trespass, and negligence against an oil and gas exploration and production company.
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation