Through pro bono representation, professional leadership, volunteerism, and charitable giving, we share our experience, skills, and resources with those in need.
Pro Bono in Action
Our lawyers have handled and tried numerous pro bono cases on behalf of underserved populations, including matters relating to child custody, consumer rights, tenants’ rights, transgender equality, unsafe living conditions, and constitutional rights, among others.
Currently, the firm’s pro bono efforts focus on maximizing access to justice while helping our lawyers broaden their skill sets as they pursue their passions. Pro bono clients receive the same caliber of service as our paying clients, and everyone is encouraged to participate in this important work.
Recent matters include:
- As part of a pro bono team, obtaining a rare victory in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit that resulted in the filing of a successive habeas petition on behalf of Texas death row inmate Rob Will.
- Volunteering with the Trans Legal Aid Clinic Houston to prepare name and gender marker change petitions.
- Obtaining a favorable, confidential settlement in federal court for a Texas state prison inmate who filed a suit against guards who had retaliated against him, which violated his Eighth Amendment right to be free of cruel and unusual punishment.
Giving Back to the Legal Profession
Mentoring and supporting our colleagues—particularly new and aspiring lawyers from diverse backgrounds—is a core part of our commitment to service. To that end, our lawyers serve as mentors, CLE instructors, and active participants in the following organizations:
- American Bar Association
- American Law Institute
- Association of Women Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Mexican-American Bar Association of Houston
- Southern District of Texas Bench Bar
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Judicial Committee on Information Technology
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
In addition, we lecture and serve as trial advocacy instructors at several law schools, including University of Chicago and Notre Dame.
Our commitment to early, effective mentorship is also evident in the firm’s project assistant initiative. Each year, we invite recent college graduates who are taking a “gap year” while considering law school to work with us full time for 1-2 years. In addition to providing a front-row seat to a career in trial law, the program helps participants with the law school application process and, ultimately, points the way to a successful legal career.
Finally, we host several students from Houston-area law schools for a paid summer law intern program during the summer after their first year. The program, which runs concurrently with our summer associate program for 2Ls, gives local students an early opportunity to gain experience in house at a successful trial firm and position themselves as outstanding candidates for top summer programs the following year.
Supporting Charitable Organizations
Our team volunteers and/or provides financial support for a broad range of local and national causes, including:
- Bo’s Place
- Children’s Fund
- Friends of the Texas Historical Commission
- Haiti through Compassion International
- Houston Debate Project
- Houston Food Bank
- Montrose Grace Place
- Preservation Houston
- Star of Hope Mission
- United Way